Saturday, October 03, 2009

Rio de Janeiro, really?

I cannot believe that Rio de Janeiro was picked over Chicago (as well as Madrid and Tokyo) to host the 2016 Summer Olympics. I, for one, can't figure this out. Certainly, Chicago has a crime problem, but it pales in comparison to Rio de Janeiro. If you're a South American city with 6.2 million people, you know you're going to have a far worst problem with police. Hell, that's the reason I'm worried about South Africa hosting the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Outside the tourist cities, crime is such a problem, the police have been rendered ineffective and have all but be replaced with private security companies.

You know, maybe that there is an emotional piece that is doing the talking. How sweet would be do drive the 250 or 300 miles along I-94 to Chicago to see the world's best athletes, or to mingle with people of different nations and backgrounds that you normally would never meet?

That's why I envy you, Victor. You don't need to remind me you're not thrilled about the 2012 Summer Olympics being in London, but it's not all about the sports, but it's also about meeting new people from other corners of the globe and diverging into new cultures. I think that's what the purpose of the Olympics, bringing the world together. The athletic competitions is just the icing on the cake. Still, I wish it were Chicago instead of Rio de Janeiro. I would kill for an Olympics that is within driving distance from my home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home