Saturday, May 26, 2007

The 313 Second Movie Review: "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"

That's what kept me away from the Pistons Thursday night. I caught the 8 p.m. showing of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End." My God! Seeing so many people in pirate costumes, I thought I was in the middle of the San Diego Comic Con. Guess I know how you feel, eh, Butch. Anyways, on with the show. The film stars Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, Orlando Bloom as Will Turner, Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Swann, Bill Nighy as Davy Jones, Stellan Skarsgard as 'Bootstrap' Bill Turner, Jack Davenport as Norrington, Tom Hollander as Lord Cutler Beckett, Chow Yun-Fat as Captain Sao Feng, and Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa. Now, I assume you all know what went down with the previous "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies, so I'll avoid pressing rewind and jump right in, but I won't spoil too much. Jack is brought back from Davy Jones' locker, but after what happened in the last film, you know he's got to be questioning Elizabeth's motives. Alas, he and archrival, Barbossa, who was resurrected by Tia Dalma at the end of the last film, take control of the Black Pearl together. Everything is quite honky-dory with Will and Elizabeth. Elizabeth wants to stay with Will, but if Will wants to free his father from Davy Jones like he vowed, then it could mean losing Elizabeth. Did I mention more villians? Of course, you do need to keep a sharp on Barbossa, given the history between himself and Jack. There's Davy Jones again. However, Davy's at the behest of Lord Cutler Beckett. Since he possesses the heart of Davy, he controls the oceans and seas for his own personal gain. Then Sao Feng, a fearsome Chinese pirate stationed in Singapore, who looks to possess the nine coins needed to bring together a pirate brethren. That's all I going to say. You want to know what else goes down, go see the movie. Overall, this movie was well worth the wait. It did almost everything perfectly. First off, it tied together the loose ends from the previous two films. When Disney said that every mystery, dysteny, and question will be solved, they were not lying. As for the writing and acting, you couldn't help but feel the emotional connection with the characters. At some points, I was thing inside my head, "NO! DON'T DO IT!" If the movie gets you to feel that way, then it's mission accomplished. Oh, and I swear, I must have cracked a few ribs from laughing so hard at Johnny Depp's antics in this film. Overall, I superb effort from Disney. Now, do as Mickie Mouse commands you. Go in before the secrets get out.

My time's up, you've been great. For the road: Madina Lake "House Of Cards"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home