Friday, June 11, 2010

NEW PUBLIC ENEMY #1: BUD SELIG



Wanted for being a spineless jellyfish, being a general asshat, and ruining history

Message for the late Jerome Holtzman, formerly MLB's official historian: Bud Selig will be baseball's best commissioner ever MY ASS! He had the perfect opportunity to right history and give Armando Galarraga the perfect game he deserved (betcha Milt Pappas had his argument why his no-hitter should be reversed to a perfect game ready). Instead, he refuses to grow a set and won't reverse the call. WTF?! Now, I'm no fan of Keith Olbermann by any stretch of the imagination, but he had it right on June 3. Bud Selig was the only man worthy of being the World's Worst Person.

And what about Jim Joyce, the umpire who blew the call? I can't stay mad at him forever. I was still going through the initial anger when I posted last week. I mean, yeah, I was glad he apologized to Galarraga, Jim Leyland, and the Tigers, but I was still pissed beyond belief. Then came the game the day I posted. The crowd cheered for Joyce and the other umpires as they walked out onto the field, less than 24 hours after being booed out of Comerica Park. General Motors decided to reward Galarraga for his professionalism and near-history making game by giving (yes, giving, as in "for free") him a 2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand-Sport converible before the game. And then the home plate umpire is set to the Tigers' and Indians' line-up cards. And who was the home plate ump? You guessed it, Joyce. Instead of Leyland giving him the card, as tradition dictates, Galarraga emerges from the dugout and gives him the card. Joyce is moved to tears. I think we can all look at Galarraga and Joyce as examples of good sportsmanship, even in the most controversial times.

And what do I think? I agree with Galarraga. I agree with Leyland. I agree with Joyce. I agree with Mariano Rivera. I agree with Pappas. I agree with Robert Gibbs. I agree with Jennifer Granholm. I agree with Olbermann. I agree with Ken Burns. Armando Galarraga pitched baseball's first 28-out perfect game.

You know what else I believe? I believe that, Bud Selig, you fucked up.

The emotional pregame ceremonies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home