Friday, September 07, 2007

Sad sorrow

And the crying moments just continue piling on. I was on my way to the video store to rent Season One of "Heroes". The guy next to me cut in front of me as his lane ran out. Apparentely, he didn't realize that a 45 mph speed limit didn't mean he could 60 mph. Unfortunately, a squirrel crossed in front of him. As I saw her run, I was thinking, "Oh, dear God! Please don't get hit! Please don't get hit!" My hopes were for naught. The squirrel almost made it, but of course, almost doesn't count. I saw the squirrel rolling to the curb after impact, but I noticed her tail moving by itself. I quickly pulled into the nearest driveway and pulled my gym bag from the trunk. I know about the risks handling squirrels come with. Fleas, ticks, rabies, etc. I didn't give a damn. I'm a former lifeguard, I was trained to rescue and save. I scooped the squirrel up into my gym bag. I try to coax her, telling her she'd be OK. I thought I could save her because I thought I saw her chest move and and the vet was two miles away from where she was it (ironically, it's also kitty-corner to the video store I was off to in the first place). I rushed her in and asked the woman at the front desk if there was anything they could do. I thought they'd be able to help since she wasn't bleeding. However, they told me they couldn't do anything because she was a wild animal and recommended I try a place a little less than ten miles away. But before I could use more gas, they had a doctor check her with a stethoscope. He found no pulse. She had no visible wounds, but the doctor said she probably died of internal bleeding shortly after I picked her up. Crying, I couldn't think of a good place to bury her. the first thing I noticed was the garbage truck was in the parking lot, so I laid the squirrel down in the Dumpster and walked away. When I heard the Dumpster land back on the ground, I wept uncontrollably. I really, with all my heart, thought I she would make it. I felt horrible.

My time's up, you've been great. For the road: Justice "D.A.N.C.E."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home